Title tags are an extremely important factor in SEO. Unlike other aspects of Search Engine Optimization, page titles can not be over-emphasized.
Think about it for a minute…A Title Tag:
- Shows up as the clickable link in SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages)
- Is what you are claiming to your potential visitors (and Search Engine Spiders) what the page is about
So how do we optimize the title tag for each page?
- Make each & every title tag unique, based on the unique content of each page.
- Include keywords & key-phrases, based on content.
- Put those keywords at the beginning of the title, yet make it human-readable.
- Use a maximum of about 63 characters, or somewhere between 3 – 10 words.
- Branding & Company name can go here, but probably at the back end of the title; is your brand so household-recognized that people will be searching for it?
- Ensure the words in the title tag of your page are in the body text and various headings in the actual content of your page.
A good example would be: "Very Important Keyword Phrase – Company Name".
- Have multiple title tags. This does not work and may prevent the proper title from being used.
- Have more than 63 characters in the title.
- Don’t put keywords in the title that are not contained on the web page
- Don’t use stopwords or dead word such as "with, the, and, of, or welcome, etc."
- Repeat words
Now go and make us a good Title, you SEO rockstar!